Back to our regularly scheduled program. Sorry for the sporatic updates but I will be back on track.
I regularly get emails from Real Simple with fun tips for decorating or creating recipes on a budget and want to share with a few of their Low Cost Decorating Tips.
1. Create as Side Table: Stack modular storage units to make a stepped side table with surfaces for displays and lighting. Create miniature still lifes in the cubbies, or stack reading material that you’re going to get to...someday.
2. Hang Plates: Plates in unexpected colors make a fresh wall arrangement. Vary hues (within a family), sizes, textures. Put the most dramatic plate toward the center (lay out the plates first to experiment); attach wire plate hangers and hang plates on picture nails.
3. Make Your Own Art: Even photocopied art looks sophisticated when it floats between two pieces of glass. The wall color shows through the glass, creating the illusion of a custom mat.
4. Stack Your Books: Piled books draw the eye. If shelves aren’t high enough or deep enough to accommodate oversize books, stack them on a flat surface, such as a bench or an end table.
5. Amplify Your Space: Tight spaces expand and rooms seem roomier when you prop up a large mirror (at least three-fourths as tall as the wall). It’s a classic interior decorator’s trick to create instant―if not real―square footage.