* Yields: 3-5 dozen cookies, depending on how thick, and the size of your cookie cutters.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Combine flour, salt, butter, and sugar in a bowl. Mix with your fingers until it forms flaky crumbs and lumps.
2. In a seperate bowl combine the egg, almond extract, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and whisk lighlty. Then mix into other bowl of dry ingredients and continue to mix until it clumps; at first it may seem very dry. Shape into two balls, flatten into disks and let is set for about 10-15 mins.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
4. Roll out a disk, one at a time, between two sheets of parchment paper (or wax paper), to a 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness, depending on how thick or thin you would like your cookies to be. **If the rolled-out dough becomes too soft to work with, place it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up.**
5. Bake at 350°F for 8-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookies, until the edges are just slightly golden brown. Remove from oven. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
I made Thumbprint Shortbread cookies using homemade Strawberry jam.
I just recently made these for the ladies that I visit from church.
P.S. I've linked up this recipe at Lil Luna and Sweet as Sugar Cookies